Unwanted calls from unfamiliar numbers are a nuisance that nearly every iPhone user has experienced. While these unknown callers might simply be harmless telemarketers, they could also be malicious scammers or spammers. Thankfully, the iPhone provides a robust set of tools to block these annoying and potentially dangerous calls. In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss the different techniques available for blocking unknown callers on your iPhone in 2023. Whether you want to stop interruptions from robocalls or gain more privacy, using call blocking is a must. Read on to learn how quick and easy it is to block unwanted calls on your iPhone.
Blocking Calls on iPhone: Summary
- There are settings within the iPhone to block unknown numbers and silence spam calls.
- Third party apps provide advanced blocking of robocalls and telemarketers.
- Manage your blocked contacts list to ensure important calls get through.
- Reporting spam helps identify abusive callers so others can block them.
- Overall, using call blocking provides a great way to reduce disruptions from unwanted calls on your iPhone.
Why Block Unknown Calls
Here are some key reasons why you may want to block unknown calls on your iPhone:
Stop Spam and Robocalls
Robocalls and telemarketing calls from unknown numbers are on the rise. By blocking unknown numbers, you can ensure these unwanted calls no longer bother you.
Many scam calls come from numbers not saved in your contacts. Blocking unknown callers can protect you from falling victim to phone scams.
Blocking unknown numbers allows you to only receive calls from people you know, increasing privacy and reducing interruptions.
3 Ways to Block Calls on iPhone
There are a few different ways to block calls from unknown numbers on an iPhone. Here are the main methods available:
1. Using Settings App
The Settings app on your iPhone provides a couple of ways to block unknown calls, including:
Silence Unknown Callers
- Go to Settings > Phone
- Turn on “Silence Unknown Callers”
- This will send all calls from numbers not in your contacts directly to voicemail
- Go to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification
- Tap “Add New” to add a new number to block
- You can also block contacts already in your phone’s address book this way
2. Using Do Not Disturb
Do Not Disturb is another iPhone feature that can be used to silence unknown callers:
- Open Settings and go to Do Not Disturb
- Select “Allow Calls From” and choose “All Contacts”
- With this enabled, only calls from numbers in your contacts will ring through
3. Using Third-Party Apps
There are various third-party apps available in the App Store that provide call blocking functionality:
- Nomorobo – Blocks robocalls and telemarketers
- Truecaller – Crowdsourced spam call and identifier
- Hiya – Caller ID and spam blocking
These apps typically use crowd-sourced databases to identify and block likely spam calls.
Tips for Managing Blocked Calls
Here are some additional tips to help you manage blocking unwanted calls on your iPhone:
- Check blocked calls list – Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts to view and manage numbers you’ve blocked.
- Remove blocks if needed – If you find you’ve blocked an important number by accident, you can remove it from your blocked list.
- Block specific area codes – Some apps like Nomorobo let you block calls from certain area codes that are notorious sources of spam calls.
- Block private/unknown numbers – Use the options in Settings to send all calls from private or unknown numbers directly to voicemail.
- Report spam numbers – Use the Report Spam feature on your iPhone after receiving an unwanted call to help identify spammers.
Blocking unwanted calls from unknown numbers is easy to do on the iPhone, whether you use the built-in settings, third party apps, or a combination of both. By silencing these disruptive calls, you can increase focus, productivity, and privacy. As spam calls continue to rise, using the robust call blocking features on the iPhone is more important than ever. With a few simple steps, you can ensure only the calls you want get through and enjoy peace of mind from incessant robocalls and telemarketers. Your iPhone provides the tools to gain control over your calling experience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many unknown numbers can I block?
There is no specific limit set on how many numbers you can block. The amount will depend on the method used. For example, apps like Nomorobo or Truecaller allow you to block thousands of known spam numbers.
Will blocking calls go to voicemail?
Calls from blocked phone numbers will typically go straight to voicemail or be disconnected without ringing your phone. However, you can customize this per contact.
Can I still receive important calls if I block unknown numbers?
Yes, any numbers that are in your contacts will still be able to call and text you normally. Only calls from numbers not saved in your contacts will be blocked.
Is call blocking available on all iPhones?
The ability to block calls is available on all iPhones running iOS 9 or later. Some blocking methods may require downloading a third-party app from the App Store.
Will blocking calls use up my cellular data?
The built-in call blocking tools do not use cellular data. However, third party spam call apps may use minimal mobile data.
Can blocking calls be disabled easily if needed?
Yes, you can disable any unknown call blocking settings easily in the Settings app or in the third-party app. This will allow all calls to come through again.