Spectrum, a Charter Communications consumer brand, is one of the biggest internet providers in the United States. For instance, just last year, Spectrum provided internet services to 27 million broadband subscribers in over 41 states.
Most of its customers connect to the internet using Spectrum’s cable network, which is known for its relatively slower uploads but fast downloads. However, compared to other ISPs, one marked difference is that with Spectrum there is no data cap.
One of the conditions required by the Federal Communications Commission during its acquisition in the year 2016, is that by the year 2023, it was to rule out data caps. Word has it that Spectrum does not intend to impose data caps even after 2023.
Spectrum also offers home phone and TV services and mobile phone service over its network.
Spectrum is recommended for:
- Internet users who don’t want to be concerned with a data cap
- People who prefer to have a traditional bundle of both TV and internet services
- Customers who require an ISP whose coverage is the widest possible
Spectrum is not ideal for:
- Internet users who require or prefer to have fast uploading speeds
- Customers who may not require fast download speeds.
Spectrum’s closest competitor is the phone-based DSL (digital subscriber line) connection, which is now aging and therefore not competitive. Also, in comparison to other cable providers, Spectrum’s upload speeds of 10 to 35 Mbps and download speeds of 200 to 920 Mbps lead the pack. Its biggest advantage over other ISPs is that it does not impose a data cap.
To find out whether Spectrum internet is available where you live, key in your address on the Spectrum official website. The website will also provide you with more information on the prices and speeds that are offered for where you live.
Best Spectrum Business Internet Plans
The internet-only Spectrum business internet pricing begins at $64.99 per month for 10 Mbps upload speeds and 200 Mbps download speeds. However, these prices increase by a whopping $21 in the second year. Therefore, after a promotional period of one year, you should expect to see a hike in internet-only service rates.
Another plus with Spectrum is that all customers are offered a free modem whereas with other cable operators you would most probably be required to rent a modem. However, if you will opt for a modem that comes with a Wi-Fi router, then you will be expected to rent it at $5 per month. Alternatively, you are free to buy a standalone wireless router that should not cost you more than $100.
If you opt to bundle its TV service as well, then Spectrum will give you a discount of $5 per month on your internet rates. You also have the option to bundle in its wired phone service, however, this triple play bundle does not come with any further discount offers.
Spectrum offers three plans to all its customers. All these plans come with no contracts, no data caps, and no rental fees for their modems. Unfortunately, these rates go up by $25 after a one-year promotional period, and by $21 if you had purchased the double-play bundle of internet and TV services.
Spectrum TV services do not require you to rent their boxes. Yet, it offers a wide variety of streaming apps that you can use to watch your preferred video subscription. However, these TV bundles come along with hidden fees for things such as regional sports networks and broadcast TV.
Best Spectrum business internet Plans:
|COST (per month)
|Spectrum Internet Std
|Spectrum Internet Ultra
|Spectrum Internet Gig
Spectrum Internet Standard
This entry-level Spectrum business internet pricing will cost you $64.99 for upload speeds of 10 Mbps and download speeds of 200 Mbps. Compared to other cable operators, these download speeds are significantly faster, and even its upload speeds exceed what is offered by some other cable ISPs.
While the download speeds are well-suited for most households, the 10Mbps upload speeds may not be suitable for people working from home.
Spectrum Internet Ultra
This plan comes at the cost of $114.98 per month and offers upload speeds of 20 Mbps and download speeds of 600 Mbps for internet-only services. In the second year, the cost of this plan increases by $25. This plan also has no fees for renting a modem and no data cap.
This is a good option for users with streaming-intensive, but minimal uploading needs.
Spectrum Internet Gig
This is the fastest of the three plans, with download speeds of 940 Mbps and 35 Mbps upload speeds. This plan comes for $249.99 for the first year for internet-only services. Similar to the other plans, the rate of this plan increases by $25 after year one.
This Spectrum business internet pricing plan may be most suitable for users with several screens requiring 4K UHD streams.
Spectrum TV Packages and Bundles
Similar to many other Internet Service Providers, Spectrum business internet pricing offers a variety of discounts on its bundles and packages to encourage as many as possible to take advantage of these deals.
The bundles and packages combine TV services with reasonably fast internet or long-distance calling – or both.
|COST (per month)
|Business TV & Internet
|200 Mbps internet & 50+ TV channels
|Spectrum Internet Ultra
|200 Mbps internet & 80+ TV channels
|Spectrum Internet Gig
|200 Mbps internet, unlimited local and long-distance phone service & 60+ live streaming channels
1. Business TV & Internet Bundle
This bundle offers to consumers 200 Mbps of internet services in addition to TV services with more than 50 channels. It goes for $79.98 for the first year.
2. Premier TV & Internet
This plan offers to customers 200Mbps of internet services, plus TV services with more than 80 channels. It goes for $99.98.
3. Business Triple Play with Live Streaming TV Essentials
As the name suggests, this bundle offers 200 Mbps of internet, long-distance, and unlimited local phone services and TV services with more than 60 live-streaming channels. This triple bundle offer goes for $89.97.
- The Spectrum business internet pricing plans offered by Spectrum are generally reasonably priced and have relatively high speeds in comparison to their competitors
- Spectrum offers its customers several free technology upgrades.
- Unlike most internet service providers, Spectrum leases to its customers a free cable modem. However, once you purchase a plan, you will not be permitted to use your TV equipment or modem.
- There are special offers for Internet and TV bundles suitable for bars and restaurants.
- All Spectrum internet-only plans are offered to customers contract-free. Therefore, in the event, you are dissatisfied with their services you are free to cancel your plan under their terms and conditions.
- Spectrum is available in 41 states
- The company offers to go the extra mile and buy you out of any other existing contracts with your current ISP, making it even easier to switch to Spectrum.
- You are given a 30-day period in which you can try out any Spectrum business internet plan. If within those 30 days you are not satisfied, you can return all the equipment and claim a refund on the plan charges. The only snag is that the refund does not include the $99 fee for installation.
- Spectrum offers to all its business customers 24/7, phone-based technical support, as well as access to a vast collection of business support articles and answers to frequently asked technical questions.
- Spectrum guarantees all its business customers internet uptime of 99.9% (Simply put, uptime refers to the amount of time that you can expect to have working internet)
- Relatively slow upload speeds, even on its faster plans. The fastest upload speed that Spectrum offers to its customers is 35 Mbps, and that is the maximum uploading speed, not the average. This means that actual uploading speeds may be lower.
- Fiber availability is not guaranteed.
- Its customer ratings are not impressive.
Spectrum Technology Upgrades
Another advantage of Spectrum is that residential customers are offered a wide range of technology upgrades and services that can be tailor-made to suit your business’s internet needs. While a few of these services are paid for, several of these tech upgrades are free.
Some of the paid tech services include:
- Private business Wi-Fi: where all devices or all employees are connected to a private and secure network.
- Static IP address: for the price of $14.99 per month, you are provided with your static IP address where you can host your VPNs and servers.
The free tech upgrades offered include:
- Cap-free data usage: regardless of the business internet plan that you select, you receive unlimited data.
- Cloud Backup: all residential customers are given 100 GB worth of free data for backing up their business data.
- Email: you are provided with your domain name, with 25 custom email addresses.
- Internet security: Spectrum users are also provided with an exclusive internet security solution that offers protection against spam, viruses, spyware, and more.
- Modem: Free modems on all plans purchased up to 300 Mbps
- Web hosting services: including an exclusive domain name and 5 GB worth of web storage.
Spectrum may be that you need an internet plan with higher upload and download speeds. Simply contact its tech support team to work out which internet plan is best suitable for your needs. However, the uploading speeds may not vary much, therefore, you should purchase a higher-tier plan only if you are looking to triple or double your downloading speeds.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. One of the first things you will do is to confirm that Spectrum offers its services in your area. This can you do by plugging your address into the website or by calling the company to determine which of their plans are offered where you live.
2. You will then need to decide whether you will require internet-only services or internet and TV bundles. With this in mind, you will be better placed to select a plan with speeds that will work for your needs.
3. If you will need to have one of their technicians come to your establishment to install the equipment, you will need to schedule an installation. However, you are free to choose to install the equipment on your own. If you choose to go it on your own, then Spectrum should send you detailed instructions along with the equipment.
For the best internet performance, you will require to have a non-switched power outlet and a cable in the area where you will put the Spectrum modem. You may need to enlist the services of a technician to add this non-switched power outlet for you.
You will also need to have a separate router. The standard modem offered by Spectrum does not come with Wi-Fi. Therefore, you could opt either to rent a WiFi-equipped modem at a rate of $5 per month or to buy a wireless router which will cost less in the long term. However, if you have purchased the Internet Gig plan, you qualify to receive this WiFi-equipped modem free of charge. Having this combined router and modem will go a long way in making it simple for you to set up and reduce possible tech support issues.
If your Spectrum internet seems to be slow, one of the first things you can do is to run a speed test. Using any wired connection from the modem, go to the speed test page to determine whether the internet is performing.
Then check your equipment to ensure that everything is tightly connected and is where it is supposed to be. You can then reboot or power cycle your router and modem. That is, shutting them down, waiting for 30 seconds to elapse, and then restarting these devices.
In some cases, the performance of your WiFi can be affected by the location you have chosen to place it. A best practice is to ensure that your router is placed in a central location free of any obstructions and far from devices such as the microwave that could interfere with its performance.